English-Zone.Com ...the BEST English-Learner's site on the 'Net!
"Relationship" Idioms #1
All of these idioms involve other people...
Click on the idioms to study the meaning:
Now it's your turn to practice! Read the sentences and try to guess the meaning of the underlined idioms:
1. I'm going out with Kelly now. Kelly is very special to me.
Kelly and I are leaving now.
I am in a relationship with Kelly.
Kelly is going to leave now.
2. Sometimes my younger brother can drive me up a wall!
I am angry.
My brother is a terrible driver.
My younger brother makes me angry.
3. Wife: I think my sister is upset. She's been giving me the cold shoulder for a week now.
Husband: Hmmm... maybe you should apologize to her.
Her sister hurt her shoulder.
Her sister is not speaking to her because she's angry.
Her sister's shoulder is cold.
4. Susan: Hey! What happened?
Mary: My husband caught a thief red-handed in our house last night!
Susan: Wow...that's scary! Where is the thief now?
Mary: We called the police and they took him to jail.
The thief was stealing when he was caught.
Mary's husband killed a thief.
Susan is a thief and she's in jail now.
5. When I called my sister to apologize to her, she really gave me an earful!
My sister gave me a gift.
My sister filled up my ear.
My sister scolded me.
6. Tony: Have you heard from Jennifer this week?
Jean: No, I haven't heard anything from her for a month! I wonder if she's ok.
Jennifer hasn't written or called her friends for a long time.
Jennifer can't hear.
Tony and Jean can't hear Jennifer.
7. Steven: Have you heard about John and Susan?
Andy: No, what happened?
Steven: They had a big argument and then they broke up with each other.
Andy: Hmm...do you think that John would get mad if I asked Susan out?
Steven: I think he would get very angry! You know them - they'll probably
get back together soon.
John and Susan are not dating each other anymore.
John and Susan are broken.
John and Susan are arguing with each other.
8. Supervisor: Please get in touch with Marie in the accounting department.
Secretary: OK, I'll call her right now.
Please get into the accounting department.
Please touch Marie.
Please contact Marie.